The church of St Peter-on-the-Wall was founded in the seventh century by St Cedd, a missionary monk who trained at Lindisfarne and when made Bishop of the East Saxons, travelled widely within East Anglia.
The church was built over the ruined gate of the abandoned 3rd century Roman fort of Othona, reusing Roman stones and bricks. It fell into disuse after the Reformation and was used for many years as a barn before being restored for worship in 1920. It has a lofty and spacious interior with an altar crafted in 1985 in memory of Cedd and his Celtic roots.
There is an annual Bradwell Pilgrimage organised by a committee under the banner of Churches Together in Essex and East London (CTEEL). The 2016 Pilgrimage will be on Saturday 2nd July, starting at St Thomas’ Church in Bradwell Village and walking the two miles to St Peter’s church for a service of worship, picnic, stalls, speakers, workshops and community singing.